Wednesday, June 12, 2013

May 20th Tornado - How We Survived

Wow. Completely forgot I had a blog out there. Over three years. Talk about neglect. I’m signing on now because I thought it might be kind of therapeutic to write some stuff down. And boy do I have a story to tell…. I live in Moore, Oklahoma and while I know it’s “tornado alley”, I’m used to tornadoes and never thought one would affect me. I’m an Okie. They don’t scare me. Until now. Eric (my husband) and I lost our home on May 20, 2013. Fortunately we were safe and to me that’s all that matters. But how we were saved is a completely different story.

On May 13th, we headed to Plaquemine, Louisiana to visit Eric’s family. We were going to stay a week and head back on Sunday the 19th. It’s a nice little drive (10 hours) and we decided to take Charlie with us. Charlie is our baby – an Irish Setter/Chocolate Lab mix. When he was a puppy he was deserted by his family and my aunt brought him to live with us. Needless to say, we spoil Charlie. Not with table scraps or anything like that, but with love and lack of training. He knows how to sit and shake but is a very excitable dog and needs some more training. He really is a very loving and friendly dog. Anyway, I digress…. When we were planning on going to Louisiana, I was very weary of bringing Charlie. He was not neutered and Eric’s parents have a dog, Goof, who is intact as well. I knew that getting two intact males together could cause a fight because they are very territorial and full of hormones. I was especially nervous because Charlie had not seen Goof since he was a puppy. Eric insisted he would watch over Charlie so off we went. In the end, it was a good thing we brought him. Though we didn’t realize that at first.

We arrived in Plaquemine Monday night around 11. Instantly there was tension between the two dogs. Charlie started growling and barking but Eric kept a tight hold on the leash and we put him in the back bedroom. I knew we were in for one crazy week. The next morning, we let Charlie out and followed him as he was familiarizing himself with the house and Goof. Goof stayed out of Charlie’s way and Charlie contented himself with chewing on his bone. I thought we were in the clear. We relaxed a few hours and caught up with our parents, always keeping an eye on Charlie. Goof wondered into the living room to lay down and the next thing we know, Charlie had a hold of Goof’s head. I don’t know if he thought Goof was after his bone or what, it was a moment of powerful hormone surge. On instinct, Eric jumped up to separate the fight. He didn’t want Charlie to hurt Goof. In the process of trying to pry Charlie off, the tip of Eric’s left index finger was bitten off. Eric is screaming about his finger and I hear his mom say, “I see it. Don’t step on it!” I will always remember that. I won’t bog you down with gory details. Eric was taken to the hospital and had emergency surgery. They were not able to re-attach the tip but fortunately it was only down to the first joint.

This, obviously, is when our plans to return home changed. The next day I get a call that Charlie needs to be quarantined for 10 days (even though he was completely up to date on shots) but we want to stay in town anyway so Eric can follow up with the doctor who conducted the surgery on his hand. Eric’s dad repeatedly said that this happened for a reason, we just didn’t know what that reason was yet. And he was right. What I forgot to mention is that Eric works nights, so he sleeps during the day. If we had been home the day we planned, Eric would have been sleeping on the afternoon of May 20th. Being a day sleeper, he is used to sleeping through the tornado alarm and dogs barking.

The afternoon of May 20th, I was checking Facebook on my phone and saw that there were storm warnings and a tornado warning in Cleveland County. I wanted to make sure everything was all right so I logged on to the computer to check out the news channels. The internet connection wasn’t all that great so I turned the TV to the Weather Channel just as the tornado touched down in Newcastle. From that point on, I was glued to the TV. Eric and his dad were at the store so I was at the house with his mom and we watched as it moved to Moore. Every time they would put up a map or an arrow showing the projected direction, I would try to show her where our house was located. I was starting to get really nervous. We actually have a storm shelter in the backyard so I contacted our neighbor to let him know that it was unlocked and he could take shelter. He wasn’t at home, he had driven away from the tornado, but fortunately he spread the word. He knew a neighbor that I had not really met and he called her. She, her two children, her mother and her sister were planning on riding it out in their house just three houses down from mine. My neighbor got to them just in time. They had no idea that I had a shelter. He was actually on the phone with them as the storm came through until the cell towers were taken out. Five more lives were saved that day.

I’ll never forget that day. I started receiving texts on my phone asking if we were okay. Fortunately I was able to tell everyone that we were completely out of harm’s way. Then I started receiving calls from family that they think my house was in the path. My dad was able to pause a video clip of the Public School Administration Building (my house was directly behind it) and he Googled my address and matched it up. When he told me that, I still didn’t want to believe him. It wasn’t until we received a text from one neighbor and a video from another that it really started to sink in. When Eric and his dad got back to the house, I ran outside and told Eric, “I don’t think we have a house anymore.” What a way to greet someone!

One of the hardest things was not being able to be there. We are fortunate to have a wonderful support system and family. My family got together and went over to the site Tuesday and Wednesday (they snuck in) and actually salvaged some pictures and even my wedding dress. We weren’t able to leave Louisiana until the Thursday after the tornado so the first time we saw it in person was Friday, with the insurance adjuster. I was just speechless. It’s a process for sure, but I think what is helping me get through it is that we are safe, and five other people are safe. Charlie (who has been neutered) is doing well too. He is his loving self and is fine around my sister’s dog Snooki (they grew up together and are buddies). Something that was so out of character for Charlie saved lives. Eric is fine with losing part of his finger if it means he’s alive and so are others. Someone told me that Eric and Charlie actually have a soul contract and are meant to be together. It’s crazy, but after this they’re even closer.

No comments: